Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Goodnight, Goodnight!


As you may have noticed, I have an interest in taking things I find out in the world and making them my own.  As much as I like new things and appreciate what the many talented creators of the world
produce, I am always ready to breathe new life into something old.

That's pretty much what happened when I found this little bedside table for $5 at the local Goodwill.  I wasn't even planning on getting anything, but how could you pass up this gem?  Sure, it's a little rough around the edges, but all the better!

So here's a rundown of how I fixed it up.  It's pretty translatable to fixing up most wooden furniture, so feel free to use it as a loose guide for any refinishing projects of your own.



This little guy started out pretty shabby, so the first thing I did was wipe it down with a damp cloth to clean off all the dirt and dinginess. Once it dried, I took some sandpaper and gave the whole thing a good sanding, working in a circular pattern.





Once it was sanded and feeling nice and new and refreshed, I started painting with a coat of primer.  This is an important step, especially for this project because the table started out ranging from yellow paint, to raw wood, to metallic sections. All it took was one coat of primer to bring it all to a neutral hue, and then I was able to start on the main color coat.  The color I decided to go with was Valspar Tahitian Vanilla.  We have other painted furniture in our apartment, but none that is a cream color, and I thought it would complement the wall colors, etc. well.  Plus, vanilla is calming.  I was sold.

All it really took was one coat of the vanilla color and the piece took on a whole new life.





The last finishing touch was replacing the old hardware.  Looking at the drawer, I noticed that the current hardware was a single hole knob, but there were two other holes that had been filled up previously.  Taking this under consideration, I decided to go for the singular knob anyways.  




I had recently stopped in to Anthropologie and discovered the vast assortment of decorative knobs and handles they have available, and so I headed back in to peruse them.  I finally settled on this golden mouse knob, which completed the project perfectly!  Here it is, in all its bedside table glory: a mouse resting upon a vintage vanilla table.  In total, this project cost about $24 to pull off (I already had sandpaper, brushes, and primer on hand).  Not too bad for a unique side table!



Featured in This Post:


Goodwill Nightstand.
Valspar Tahitian Vanilla paint.
Anthropologie mouse knob.
Urban Outfitters vintage record coaster.
Star ornament crafted by Caitlin Howe.
World Market fox decoration.

- The Lovely Red Fox


No comments:

Post a Comment